Pageant F. A. Q.
1) What is Miss Texas Jr. High, High School, and Collegiate America? The Texas Jr. High School, High School, and Collegiate America Pageant is a state preliminary pageant that goes on to compete nationally for the titles of Miss Jr. High School America, Miss High School America, and Miss Collegiate America June 2024. The purpose of the national competition exists to providing personal and professional opportunities for young women. It is their goal to provide outstanding high school, junior high and collegiate girls the opportunity to compete in a pageant system that has the highest of moral values.
2) How are the divisions determined? There are 3 “grade” divisions for the Texas state pageant. Your grade level determines the division in which you compete in, not your age.
3) What is the breakdown for the divisions (as of Fall 2023)?
The Miss Texas Jr. High America division is for girls in the 5th grade to 8th grade.
The Miss Texas High School America division is for girls in the 9th grade to 11th grade.
The Miss Texas Collegiate America division is for student in the 12th grade or enrolled at a college,university, graduate school, tech/trade school, or beauty college in Arizona. This can be both in person or online. The Texas Collegiate contestant must no older than 27 as of June 1, 2024
4) I am entering the 12th grade, but have to compete in the collegiate division? The National Pageant date and year of reign determines the divisions. The National Pageant will be held in June of 2024. If the Texas Collegiate titleholder wins the national title, they would reign during their freshman year of college. So yes, the majority of your reign as the Texas titleholder would be during your senior year. The judges will understand this. Please contact the state office if you still have further questions as to how the age division you are to compete in is determined.
5) Can I enter if I attend school outside of Texas, but live in Texas when not attending school, and still compete? Yes - online schooling applies. If you do not live in Texas, but are enrolled in an Texas school online you are eligible to compete.
Location/ Hotel/ Transportation
6) When is the Texas State Pageant held? The Texas state pageant will be held on November 11-12, 2023
7) Where is the pageant held? Charles Bender Performing Arts Center.
8) Is there a host hotel? Yes. We will be giving out information soon.
9) Is there a group rate for the hotel? Yes.
10) Will I be rooming with my family during pageant weekend? Yes, You are responsible for your own lodging and transportation.
11) Do I have to stay at a hotel if I live nearby? No. However, many of the pageant events will begin early and run late. Attending all pageant weekend events is mandatory and punctuality is highly important. If you are driving each day to the hotel, we expect you to be on time.
12) What are the phases of competition? You will compete in interview, fun fashion, and evening gown.
13) What is the score breakdown? Interview and Evening Gown are worth 40% of your score, Fashion Runway is worth 20%.
14) How is the order of the contestants determined? Our Contestants will be in alphabetical order based on the city title they have selected.
15) During interview do the contestants stand or sit? Stand, in a panel style interview with all the judges.
16) How long is interview? 5 minutes. Exact time to be determined based on number of contestants.
17) Will there be any political or controversial questions? No, not unless it is brought up by the contestant.
18) What do I wear for interview? An interview dress/sundress/jumpsuit. Can I wear a formal suit? No.
19) Are fashion forward shoes okay in interview or should we only wear nude/tan color shoes? Yes, either is fine for interview.
20) Are there examples of what to wear? Yes. Please message us for examples.
21) Is there an onstage question or onstage interview portion? There is no onstage question.
22) What do I wear for Fashion Runway? Fashion Runway is a high fashion outfit of choice: Pantsuit, Sundress, High Fashion off the rack, High-Low, or Cocktail. Contact us for more examples.
23) Can my fashion outfit be a 2 piece? Yes, but must be age appropriate.
24) Is there anything I cannot wear? No props, No hats/hairpieces, No denim, no flip-flops. This is an outfit that shows your personal style.
25) Do I need a routine? No full routines. You will be given the competition pattern prior to pageant weekend.
26) Are there any examples of outfits worn? Yes, please message us for examples. You may also look at the national fun fashion outfits for more elaborate choices, but they are not necessary to win.
27) What do I wear for Evening Gown? Evening gown is your moment to feel like a queen! Evening gowns need to be prom or pageant dressed and age appropriate. The gown must touch the floor in front and in back.
28) Are Jr. High contestants required to wear a ballgown? YES. Must flare from waist. This is what is required at Nationals. Dress DOES NOT have to have straps; can be a 2-piece ball gown.
29) Can my dress have a slit in it? Jr. High- No, High School- to the knee, Collegiate- Yes
30) Can my evening gown be a 2 piece? Yes, for all age division. The national pageant agreed to let the Jr. High division wear 2-piece gowns, as of this year, as long as they remain ball gowns (start to flare from waist).
31) Are there any colors or styles we have to wear? Styles and colors should fit the girl and her coloring. No specific color or style is required. Many dresses can be interchangeable between the High School and Collegiate divisions. However, keep in mind that High school students need to be “age appropriate” (e.g., no low backs, high slits, or large cutouts, depending on category).
32) Do we have to spend thousands of dollars on your dress to win? NO! Many contestants even borrow dresses from other pageant girls or wear their prom dress.
33) Do you have any examples of evening gowns? Yes, Contact us for examples.
34) Are rehearsals mandatory? Yes. Unless previously approved by the directors, all rehearsals are mandatory to ensure each contestant knows what to expect on pageant day.
35) Are rehearsals open to family and friends? No, only approved staff/ makeup artist are allowed in rehearsals.
36) What is the attire for rehearsal? Rehearsal clothes should be cute and casual. Photos will be taken throughout rehearsals. List of what to wear will be posted in the contestant Facebook group closer to the pageant weekend.
37) Can I wear my hair in rollers/pin curls the day of the pageant, during rehearsal? Yes, there will be time to prepare for the pageant throughout rehearsal and prior to the show, but it may be easier to already come with your hair curled/pinned up.
38) Can we have our cell phones at rehearsal? Yes. However, they are only to be used at designated times. This is your weekend to meet new girls, have fun, and prepare for the pageant. Phone use during rehearsal time is disrespectful to the staff working with you.
39) Can we take pictures during rehearsal and backstage at the pageant? We encourage you to document your weekend at post to your social media sites, at designated times. No photos are to be taken inside the dressing rooms, as we want to keep the privacy of all the girls who may be changing.
40) Will we have chaperones? There will be multiple staff members chaperoning the contestants during the weekend. Contestants must let staff know where they are going and communicate with respect.
Hair and Makeup
41) Can Jr. High Contestants wear makeup? Yes. Please make sure makeup is age appropriate. Judges want to see the girl.
42) Will there be makeup and hair artist at the pageant? You may use the makeup artists, who have contacted us about being at the pageant, or use your own, if you choose to not get yourself ready. These artists will be available to hire and listed on our Facebook contestant group page. You may get yourself ready or use someone prior to going over to interview. Since our venue is in the same spot as the host hotel, there will be time for you to go back to your/h&m artist's room to get ready.
43) Do we have to hire a makeup artist? No, you do not need to hire a makeup artist. Many contestants and/ or their parents are great at doing their own makeup.
44) Will there be time to get ready between rehearsal and the pageant? Yes. Contestants will be given time to get ready.
Pageant Weekend Events
45) Will there be any extra events during pageant weekend? Yes. We want the girls to bond and have a great pageant experience. We will be hosting an event Saturday night.
46) Will food be provided? Contestants will be released for meals on their own or with family.
47) What are we wearing for opening number? We are asking that each of our contestants select a WHITE cocktail dress. Please be age appropriate in your selections and know that you will be doing movements in them on stage. We ask that each contestant wear nude heels with their opening number selection.
48) Do we have to be dancers to grasp the opening number? No. The opening number will be mainly walking patterns, some basic movements, and introductions. No dance experience is necessary. This portion is not judged.
49) Will we know the walking patterns and opening number prior to pageant weekend? Yes. A video and/or diagrams will be sent out at least one week prior to the pageant.
50) Will there be a top finalists? A top finalist number will be determined based on the number of contestants in each category.
51) How many runner-ups will be awarded? Number is dependent on the number of contestants. It will range from 0-4.
52) Will tickets be available to purchase at the venue? Yes. They will be cash only at the theater and registration
53) Can parents and family take pictures in the audience, during the pageant? We ask, as a courtesy, that no photography be taken during the pageant. We have professional photographers that will be capturing the show, and all the events, for purchase at a very reasonable rate.
54) How do I order photos? Photo packages will include interview, rehearsal and show pictures. GREAT DEAL!! Order form is included in the contestant packet or will be available pageant weekend.
55) Can my supporters bring signs to support me? Yes! They may have signs, but we ask that they are courteous to those around them. Everyone wants to see the show! They may be asked to lower them if disturbing the audience or photographer/videographer view. NO noisemakers of any kind are allowed!
56) Will a chaperone/helper be allowed backstage during the pageant? No. We are giving them an opportunity to watch the show! We will have numerous staff members on hand to assist with the contestants needs backstage. One female family member/chaperone is allowed to assist with gathering your items, after the pageant is completed. All contestants are required to stay backstage until the end of the pageant.
57) Can I just leave after the pageant? Queen and court photos will need to stay to take photos onstage. All other contestants are welcome to gather their items to leave the theater. A parent or guardian MUST check out, all minors, with designated staff member.
58) Will I get my scores after the pageant? Yes. We will be glad to give you the feedback of the judges. We will be emailing you your scores and comments.